Pair of chairs, of solid gilded brass, Italian, with newly upholstered seats in a gray velvet blend. Chiavari chairs are named for the Italian city where they originated. This little town, located between Genoa and the Cinque Terre, began producing these chairs at the beginning of the 19th century. It was here in 1795 that the Descalzi brothers opened their shop and 1807 and created the Chiavarine - a light, elegant, yet solid, cherry wood chair. Over the years the chair changed form and style and has jumped from the dinning room to the ballroom. It has become the classic wedding chair. It probably didn’t hurt tradition that the Kennedy’s used Chiavari chairs for their 900 guest wedding reception in 1953.